Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cheesy Green Bean Casserole

Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
(a new taste on an old classic)

This is a simple twist on the classic. I don't know about anyone else, but when someone mentions Green Bean Casserole for thanksgiving, I'm like "Not it!" I do not want to make it. It is sooo boring!
It's about time to spring some life back into it. 
So the green beans. I got a pound in my weekly CSA share, so that's how much I made. This is supposed to be a side dish, but honestly we just ate it for dinner as the main course. Whatever :)
The most important thing with fresh beans is to snap off the edges. And if while you are snapping, the bean wants to loose a long thread between the ends, pull that bad boy out too. It's super stringy otherwise. Not all beans have this problem (mine did)
And by all means, if you don't have fresh beans, of course you can use a can. I think 2-3 cans is equivalent.


The milk sauce. Okay, so this is me trying to be fancy. That's not true, I didn't have or like Cream of Mushroom soup. I actually didn't have Cream of anything soup, so I made this instead. If you aren't feeling like cooking up a rue sauce, you can certainly just use a can of whatever Cream of Soup you have. Celery would be good.

I used a thick nacho cheese for my jarred cheese sauce. It was too thick to spread, so I threw it in with my milk sauce to melt is up a bit. Not all jarred sauces are like this, so look at yours before doing this step.



 I love me a little before/after photos. So here is mine.

Mmm bubbly cheese.
Then after with the topping.
(hi, I used baked potato chips instead of onions
Yes I am deviating from my own recipe)



And enjoy. mmmm. I can't promise how healthy this one is with all that cheese sauce in there. But it certainly does taste good.

No comments:

Post a Comment