Monday, September 10, 2012

Squash Chocolate Cake


This is a really tasty, yet healthier chocolate cake. I think it tastes like a chocolate spice cake. Seriously though, no one will ever know the secret ingredient!


So I used an acorn squash because that is what I had on hand. But it would be delicious with pumpkin as well :)
For Acorn Squash, cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds (save these, they are tasty roasted) and drizzle a little oil over the squash. Pop in the oven and roast for about an hour or until fork tender.
It only took me 1 squash to get 2 cooked cups, but depending on the size of your squash...
 I used a hand-held mixer to mush up my squash before adding to my cake mix.
I really like doing this because if you have any long squash strings or anything, they get caught on the beaters instead of going in your cake. It kinda resembles a yellow mashed potato right??









Mmm. the cake cooking away in the oven. I filled the pans up pretty much to the top because 1: the recipe made a lot of batter and 2: I successfully thought the cake wasn't going to significantly rise.

Cool, frost, decorate do whatever you want.
I fancied mine up a lot because I was taking it to work for a birthday party. It has a cream cheese frosting, the layers are stuffed with an orange marmalade. I also wrapped the cake in chocolate and drizzled some over the top. Looks much fancier :)


And enjoy. mmmmm. So tasty.




No comments:

Post a Comment